Situation before 21 April 2021:
- Many products containing products of animal origin (POAO) are already subject to health certificates, pre-notification in Traces and inspections at border control posts:
- All products which contain meat
- All products containing more than 50% processed POAO
- All non-shelf stable products containing any quantity of milk
- However, products without meat and containing less than 50% of processed POAO were normally exempt from health certificates, pre-notification and inspections at BCPs
Situation from 21 April onwards:
- Stricter controls and requirements will apply to products without meat and containing less than 50% of processed POAO. Which controls apply depends on the following distinction:
- Products that are not shelf-stable (i.e. perishable, must be transported and stored at controlled temperatures) will require a health certificate, a pre-notification in Traces and inspection at a BCP
- Products that are shelf-stable must be accompanied by a ‘private attestation’. These products are further subdivided:
- If the products are classified as low risk a pre-notification on Traces is not required and no inspection at a BCP is required.
- Other products must be pre-notified on Traces and are subject to veterinary checks at BCPS
- The list of low risk composite products that do not require pre-notification and inspection at BCPs can be found here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=PI_COM%3AAres%282021%2972083
- Less strict controls and requirements may apply to shelf-stable composite products containing more than 50% POAO but no meat, such as dairy products that do not have to be temperature controlled. These products will have to be accompanied by a private attestation instead of a health certificate.
The private attestation:
- A private attestation is a document signed by the EU importer, in which the importer provides relevant information about the product and declares that the product meets all requirements for being allowed into the EU.
- A model template for the private attestation can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6065e00fe90e074e529bdf3c/8352EHC_EN.pdf
For more information please download the PDF file below;